Employment Discrimination

Employment Discrimination in California

Unfortunately, employment discrimination happens every day in the United States, including in California. Sometimes it is obvious, and sometimes it is subtle. It is always illegal, however, and both California and federal laws provide remedies for its victims. Dennis Law Group can help you fight your way through the complex legal and bureaucratic maze  of an employment claim so that you can collect the compensation that you deserve.

Discuss your ability to recover financial compensation after a
employment discrimination claim with our experienced business lawyers today.

Protected Classes

To win an employment discrimination lawsuit, you must be a member of a protected class, and the discrimination you complain of must have been based on your membership (or perceived membership) in that class. These classes include:

  • Race
  • Religion
  • Skin color
  • National origin or ancestry
  • Pregnancy
  • Disability or medical condition
  • Marital status
  • Gender (including gender identity)
  • Sexual orientation
  • Age (40 and over)
  • Genetic information

Unlawful Acts of Discrimination

To win your claim, you must prove that your employer took an “adverse employment action” against you, and that it was motivated by discrimination against you due to your membership in a protected class. “Adverse employment actions” include:

  • being fired or “laid off”
  • being demoted or denied a promotion
  • having your pay reduced or your benefits taken away
  • being transferred against your will

Employment Discrimination Frequently Asked Questions

How does your fee structure work?
At Dennis Law Group, you owe us nothing until your employment discrimination case is resolved. Our fee will be calculated as a percentage of your eventual recovery, so that we can’t win unless you do too. If you receive no compensation, then you will receive no bill from us.
How do I enforce an employment discrimination claim based on California law?
You can file a written complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH). The DFEH will either act on your claim itself or issue you a “right to sue” letter (most claimants receive a “right to sue” letter). Once you receive the “right to sue” letter, you may file a lawsuit. The deadline is one year after the most recent incident of the conduct you are complaining about.
How do I enforce an employment discrimination claim based on federal law?
You should file a written complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EOCC). The process works basically the same way the state process does (see above), except that the deadline is only 300 days after the most recent act of discrimination. A special procedure applies for federal government employees.
Should I proceed under state law or under federal law?
That depends on several factors:
  • If your employer employs fewer than 15 employees, you cannot file a federal claim. California discrimination law can be applied to employers with as few as five employees.
  • If more than 300 days have elapsed since the last incident of discrimination, you cannot file a federal complaint (you have on year under California law).
  • Whether you wish to litigate in federal or state court.
  • Whether the discrimination is illegal under federal law (some discrimination that is illegal under California law is legal under federal law).

In most cases it is best to sue under a state law claim. Our skilled employment lawyers can guide you in the right direction.

Take Action Today

Don’t Settle For Less Than Best
If you believe that you have a valid employment discrimination claim, you will need an experienced employment discrimination attorney to evaluate your claim and press for compensation. The sooner you take decisive action on your claim, the sooner you can receive your compensation.