In the confusion and stress following a serious car accident, the last thing on many accident victims’ minds is how they can protect their legal rights. However, if you or your loved one intend to bring a personal injury claim against a negligent driver, it is important that you take the time to gather certain information that could be useful down the road. Of course, if you or your loved one is seriously injured in the crash and require immediate medical attention, your wellbeing comes first. Ideally, a non-injured friend, or bystander will be able to secure any documentation and photographs needed. At Dennis Law Group, our first priority is that you obtain appropriate medical treatment and recover from your injuries.
Details to Document After a Car Accident
If you are injured in an automobile accident, remember to write down, or have someone else write down for you, these ten important accident-related details as soon as possible:
1. The date and time of the accident
2. The weather conditions at the time of the accident
3. Traffic and road conditions
4. The location of the accident
5. The direction you were traveling
6. What happened just before the accident
7. How the accident happened (drawing a diagram might be helpful)
8. The drivers and vehicles involved, including physical descriptions of the people and the car[s], and relevant insurance information
9. Identification of potential witnesses
10. A date, time, and description of any communication from the other driver and/or his or her insurance company
A successful personal injury lawsuit settlement can help you recover the financial expenses you are likely to incur as a result of being injured in a car accident. You have the right to be compensated for medical and hospital bills, lost wages, the cost of emotional counseling, and other expenses that you incurred as a result of being injured in an accident that was not your fault.
Remember, with the help of experienced personal injury lawyers, you don’t have to collect evidence, find answers, or deal with insurance companies on your own. The skilled trial lawyers at Dennis Law Group have handled many personal injury cases for clients and are advocates of consumer rights. Reach out the accident attorneys at Dennis Law Group today for a complimentary consultation about your case.