Slip and falls can be serious. Victims often suffer severe, painful injuries. These types of injuries often happen because a property owner didn’t repair or warn you about dangerous conditions, such as a broken handrail that causes you to fall down a flight of stairs. When your injuries are caused by a property owner’s negligence, you may be able to recover compensation through a premises liability case. Our Orange County slip and fall lawyers at Dennis Law Group will listen to your story and go over your legal options.
If you were recently hurt in a slip and fall accident, your injuries may be due to the negligence of the property owner. A slip and fall accident lawyer in California may be able to help you pursue recovery for damages and negotiate a settlement with the at-fault party.
Dennis Law Group provides comprehensive legal services to victims of slip and fall accidents in Irvine, San Jose and Los Angeles. We can look at the facts of your case, help you file a claim against the insurance company, and negotiate a settlement to get you fair compensation.
Contact our skilled legal team at (888) 820-2889 today to learn your options after being injured by a dangerous condition in someone’s premises.
Slip and Fall Injuries
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, for individuals over the age of 65, one in five falls causes a serious injury. Every year about 2.5 million aging individuals end up in the ER because of a fall and more than 700,000 are hospitalized for a fall-related injury. If you know a senior who broke their hip, 9 times out of 10 it was from a fall. And in some cases, that fall could have been prevented. When people fall because of a loose, uneven, or slippery surface or because of some other hazard, there are many injuries they could suffer – ranging from mild and inconvenient to painful and life-altering.
Three of the most common fall-related injuries are:
· Broken bones: In slip and fall accidents, people may fracture bones in their hands, wrists, or arms because they put their arms out to catch themselves when they fall. Elderly individuals often break a hip when they fall sideways.
· Brain injuries: Many people fall and hit their heads, leading to concussions or more serious TBIs. For older individuals, falls are the most common cause of TBIs. Brain injuries can lead to personality changes and decreased cognitive functioning. Like a severe spinal cord injury, a serious TBI can take away a person’s ability to live independently.
· Spinal cord injuries: In case people fall a great distance or onto another object, it increases their risk of a spinal cord injury. Even relatively minor spinal cord injuries can lead to serious long-term disabilities, and major spinal cord injuries may lead to paralysis. This type of injury is very likely to take away a person’s independence.
What should you do immediately after a slip and fall in California
A slip and fall accident can leave you confused and disoriented under the best of circumstances and under the worst of circumstances, a slip and fall can leave you severely injured. If you are injured as a result of a slip and fall you should:
· Seek medical attention – even if you don’t feel as if you were injured, many injuries can present symptoms hours, sometimes days, later.
· Take pictures of the scene – Try to document the cause of your slip and fall. Be sure to capture the surrounding areas, as well as the actual cause of your accident. Notice if there were any signs or barriers around the area where the accident occurred.
· Document any witnesses – Record names and contact information for anyone who may have seen you fall. Be sure to ask about whether any of the witnesses heard any conversation about the area responsible for your fall.
And finally, reach out to an experienced injury attorney in Orange County to discuss your legal rights and potential for financial recovery. For a free, no obligation consultation, contact the Orange County injury attorneys at Dennis Law Group today.